Planning Your Wedding
First things first
- Decide on a date for the wedding (this is something you may have to see an Indian Priest about).
- Think about how many functions you need to organize, and set their dates and times.
- Consider your budget.
- Decide the size of the wedding.
- Allocate responsibilities between both families.
- Draw up a first draft guest list for the various functions.
- Visit possible venues to discuss their availability and cost.
- Decide on your attendants and ask each of them.
Nine - six months
- Book the ceremony and reception venues (pay deposits).
- Decide on your menu and book caterers for all your functions.
- Book a professional photographer and/or videographer.
- Book panditji for the wedding.
- Finalise your guest list, inform family and friends that may need to travel.
- Order wedding invitations
- Book your wedding décor arrangements – (confirm your colour theme, flowers, mandaps etc)
- Book your florist
- Start thinking about honeymoon locations (or you could delegate this to the Groom)
- Book your DJ or live entertainment you wish to have for your functions
- Shop around for wedding cakes
- Shop around for wedding favours
- Shop or place orders for your wedding attire for all the functions – Groom, Bride, Bridesmaids,
- Groomsmen, Parents etc.
- Choose your wedding jewellery and wedding rings
- Start your beauty routines
- Allocate someone to organise the Hens/Stag night
Three - six months
- Mail out you overseas invites
- Book mehendi artist, make up and hair stylist
- Book any other party rentals you may require for all your functions – eg chairs tables
- Book your transportation needs
- Register your gift choice at your desired stores
- Book accommodation for your overseas guests
- Purchase all wedding attire for the Bride, Groom and the bridal party
- Book your honeymoon (or make sure it is booked!). Don't forget about visas, vaccines and your passport expiry date.
- Purchase/order your favours for all your functions
- Send out your wedding invites – (keep a record of acceptances and refusals)
- Finalise your menus for your functions
- Confirm all your floral and décor arrangements
- Confirm all your music and entertainment needed for your functions
- Book sweets or methai for your functions
- Purchase your wedding rings
- Get your marriage license
- Ask the people who you want to do speeches
- If you need to – purchase gifts that you may need to give to both families
- Book your wedding cake
- Meet with the photographer and videographer - advise them on what you want on the day (different Photographic styles – give them a run down on what the days will be like so they know what to expect).
- Visit your Priest to finalise details for all the functions
- Confirm with family and friends who is doing what on the days (helps if you give them a list so there is no confusion)
- Create day plans for all your functions informing when and where things are happening
- Confirm all transportation needs for the bridal party
- Collect all attire for the wedding party – ensure everything is ready to wear
- Confirm all guests with the caterer
- Purchase or hire all pooja items
- Pick up wedding dress: Make sure the wedding dress is well wrapped and preserved for your wedding day.
- Finalize seating assignments: Decide where which relative will be seated. It is best to involve both sets of parents in the process so that you they can inform you of any rifts between family and / or friends.
- Finalize the guest count: Inform the caterer or the banquet manager of the final guest count.
- Make hair and makeup appointment: One of the primary things on your wedding day is your hair and makeup, so make sure you have your stylist booked in advance. The other thing you need to do is arrange for a full run through with both stylists.
- Pack for the Honeymoon: Since you won't have much time as the wedding draws close or after the wedding make sure you do all your honeymoon shopping(whether its beach wear or thermals) in advance.
- Pack for the day after your wedding: If your reception is at a hotel and you intend on staying at the honey moon suite the night of your wedding, remember to carry something nice and bridal for the next morning when you actually go back to your new home.
- Confirm details with vendors: Secure details with florists, photographers, caterers, videographers, entertainment, etc a month and then a week before your wedding day, just to be sure that they have blocked their dates and are available.
- Pass out wedding day schedules: Make sure each wedding day participant is aware of the day's activities and their roles